Skullgirls is a downloadable 2D fighting game developed by Lab Zero Games(formerly Reverge Labs), and published by Autumn Games and Konami. It was released on PlayStation Network in North America on April 10, 2012 and on Xbox Live Arcade on April 11, 2012 and in Europe on May 2, 2012, with a PC release to follow later in the year.
Set in Canopy Kingdom, characters are fighting for the opportunity to control the mysterious Skull Heart, an artifact with the ability to grant wishes, albeit at a substantial cost. The Skullgirl is a monster that haunts humanity: the result of those with an impure soul attempting to use the Heart.
The roster consists of eight female characters. They include Filia, Cerebella, Peacock, Parasoul, Ms. Fortune, Painwheel, Valentine and Double. Characters each have ten different colors to them, some of which are locked at start. Many of the recolors include homages to other characters from video games or from Japanese culture. Additional DLC will be released containing playable characters both male and female.
- Filia - (Voiced by Christine Marie Cabanos) An amnesiac schoolgirl who possesses a parasite on her head named Samson.
- Cerebella - (Voiced by Cristina Vee) An orphaned circus performer working for the mafia, who possesses a Living Weapon Hat, Vice-Versa, which possesses powerful muscles.
- Peacock - (Voiced by Sarah Williams) A mutilated war orphan who was rebuilt with powerful weaponry by an Anti-Skullgirls Lab. Her damaged psyche and love of cartoons leads to a lot of psychotic attacks. She is a friend of Marie.
- Parasoul - (Voiced by Erin Fitzgerald) The princess of Canopy Kingdom and leader of the Black Egrets, whose mother was once a Skullgirl that nearly destroyed the world.
- Ms. Fortune - (Voiced by Kimlinh Tran) The sole survivor of the thieving Fishbone Gang, who swallowed a mysterious Life Gem that allows her to keep living even when chopped into pieces.
- Painwheel - (Voiced by Danielle McRae) A girl who was kidnapped by Valentine and experimented on with parasites and Skullgirl blood, leading her to become a monster. Her real name is Carol. She was also friends with Filia.
- Valentine - (Voiced by Laura Post) The sole survivor of the Last Hope, a group of special Anti-Skullgirl Lab operatives. Her motives are unknown. After Last Hope was eliminated, Valentine is forced to work for Marie and Double.
- Double - (Voiced by Charlotte Ann) A formless monster who can imitate the moves of other fighters. She disguises herself as an inside-out of a Catholic nun.
- Marie - (Voiced by Kira Buckland) Also know as Bloody Marie. The Skullgirl, current wielder of the Skull Heart. She is the final boss of the game but not a playable character.
Announced DLC CharactersEdit
Due to budget constraints, the following characters were promised by Lab Zero Games as future downloadable characters.
- Squigly - An undead opera singer who was brought back to life by the parasite Leviathan.
- Umbrella - The little sister of Parasoul, as well as the Princess of Canopy Kingdom, she seems to hold some strong connection with the Skull Heart.
- Big Band - The first male character and second incoming DLC character. (Big Band is seen in the background of the Lab Zero Stage.)
In the Keep Skullgirls growing campaign there has been a mention of Alex Ahad wanting the Skullgirls character roster to grow across three full games however he agreed to pull the curtain back a bit to garner interest in the game’s future cast and story.
- Official website
- Reverge Labs' website
- CanopyKingdom - A news blog dedicated to all that is Skullgirls.
- Skullgirls on Wikipedia