Painwheel is one of the playable characters in Skullgirls.
Once a normal schoolgirl named Carol, Painwheel was kidnapped by Valentine and delivered to the Anti-Skullgirls Labs’ secretive Lab Zero. There she was implanted with the synthetic Buer Drive and Gae Bolga parasites and infused with experimental Skullgirl blood, transforming her into the monster she is today. Violent and unstable as a result of these experiments, as a precaution she’s mentally controlled by Lab Zero’s powerful psychic director, Brain Drain.
Fueled by rage, she draws her power from her pain and fury. Despite that, the soul of that scared young girl still lives on inside this monstrous body, desperately fighting off the onslaught of voices that would control her.
After defeating the Skullgirl, Painwheel destroys the Skull Heart and claims her freedom. She then returns home only to be shunned by her own parents. Receiving a message from Brain Drain telling her to return, she tells him that he is next...as her eyes glow like Marie's did.
She wished for freedom, and she got her wish. And became what had entrapped her in this fate to begin with.
Painwheel's personality is a bit tricky at first. By her appearance she has the form of a monster and is expected to kill and bring harm under orders from Valentine, Brain Drain and her creators however it was revealed that Painwheel was able to keep control of her mind over Brain Drain and was able to think and behave for herself.
She has a powerful hatred for Valentine and ASG Labs and judging by her lists of dislikes she also dislikes people and her own body. This could be from a rough past of others bullying her about her appearence which would've resulted in low self-esteem, though another (more obvious) possibility is the monstrous transformation she's been put through. After defeating Marie and destroying the Skull Heart Painwheel goes home to face her parents (in her current monsterous form) hoping they would still accept her as their daughter- however the adults are horrified upon seeing her and shun her fro her appearence. A heart broken and despondent Painwheel goes off and is confronted by Brain Drain, only for her rage to be fueled even more upon seeing him.
Aside from all her hateful attributes Painwheel enjoys peaceful and beautiful things such as flowers, dogs and walking on a beach during the sunset. Painwheel underwent changes as revealed in Filia's ending as she was shown to be very positive and happy of starting over and getting a new leash on life (thanks to Filia's wish) overjoyed seeing her new class telling them it was a pleasure to meet them. Instead of living with her parents, she lives in the ASG Labs, where she is actually happy there. Afterwards Painwheel and Filia watch the sunset together. All in all, Painwheel is a very kind girl who just wants a normal life.
DLC Color PalettesEdit
- Sentinel (Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
- Original Color Designs
Gae Bolga Stinger (QCF + P)
Projectile trajectory changes with punch button used. Holding MP or HP charges up more projectiles.
Buer Reaper (QCF + K)
Can also be used in air. Angle of attack changes with kick button used.
Pinon Dash (D, D + K [rapid])
Distance and speed improves by rapidly tapping kick button.
Flight (QCB + K)
Can also be used in air. Any attack end flight.
Death Crawl (QCF + PP)
Buer Thresher (jump, QCF + KK)
Hatred Install (QCB + PP)
- She is voiced by Danielle McRae, who is known for voicing in the video games World of Warcraft as Hagara the Stormbinder and League of Legends as Karma the Enlightened One.
- Her name is a play on the word Pinwheel.
- Painwheel herself seems to take from the pinwheel, not being able to function unless moved by other forces.
- Painwheel somewhat resembles Voldo from the Soul Calibur games, her move death crawl is similar to one of his moves as well.
- The blades attached to Painwheel's back slighty resemble a Japanese shuriken throwing star.
- Painwheel's overide code, the code that Valentine says two times during her story, is, suprisingly, Valentine's breast measurements.
- When Painwheel is being introduced to her new class (in Filia's ending), she is seen carrying a cello case. This may imply that Painwheel has some skill in playing that said instrument.
- It is unknown if the scars on Painwheel's face after removing her mask are permanent or not.
- When attacking Painwheel bends her arms and legs in very painful looking positions. If doing so hurts her or not is unknown but judging by the sounds of her mild screams and grunt when performing them they very well could be.
- Her name "Carol" means "a free person", Seeing that her role is mainly fighting for her freedom.
- Painwheel's theme appears to be a short version of "The lives we left behind" which is the stage theme for Maplecrest.
- Gae Bolga is a reference to a spear in Irish mythology Gáe Bulg which means "Spear of Mortal Pain/Death Spear".