Filia is one of the playable characters in Skullgirls.
Filia was once just an average schoolgirl, but one day woke up without any memories and a second mouth on the back of her head. She was now playing host to a parasite named Samson, an unruly mop of demonic hair with incredible power.
With no memories or anyone to turn to for help, if she ever hopes to piece together her forgotten past and survive the inevitable clash with the Skullgirl, Filia will need to trust this mysterious being.
After defeating the Skullgirl, Filia takes possession of the Skull Heart. After much thought she decides not to wish for her lost memories back but instead wish for Carol (Painwheel) to return to her old self. Though she had good intentions when she made the wish, because the wish was made out of her own personal guilt, she was bound by the curse that will inevitably change her into the new Skullgirl.
Later seen at school, Filia's class is introduced to the new student Carol, formerly Painwheel, who appears somewhat normal just as Filia begins to feel the Skull Heart slowly transforming her. She and Carol then watch the sunset, with the two being best friends again.
Filia is a caring girl. Throughout the events of Skullgirls, Filia is shown to have a good sense of duty as she made it her top priority to receive the Skull Heart and make her wish, which she would use to restore her memories(However this was changed to restore Painwheel back to her normal self so that she may live a normal life again). Filia's wish shows an act of selflessness as well. It is unknown how Filia was before she lost her memories, however, she mentioned treating Carol wrongly in the past.
Samson, on the other hand, is shown to be a brash and rowdy parasitic symbiote. Despite those qualities, he is shown to be quite protective and supportive of Filia, as he mentioned that nobody should lay a hand on her after attacking Riccardo in story mode when he tried to hit on her. It is implied that Samson could know some things that Filia doesn't as he seemed hesitant on the subject of Painwheel knowing Filia after their fight. When Parasoul is defeated against Filia in VS mode she mutters "You're being...used." before falling out, hinting that Samson's intentions toward Filia might be considerably less than honorable and that he's only using Filia to get what he wants this is further touched upon during Filia's meeting with Squigly and Leviathan as Leviathan states "I won't idly watch you bring doom to another host" revealing that Samson has manipulated and even has gotten his previous hosts killed in order to gain what he wants.
Filia and Samson share a symbiotic relationship, and it is this relationship that forms the basis for their fighting style. Samson is able to attack from a distance by turning Filia into long tentacles with sharp razor-like ends. He can also attack from afar with hairball spit attacks.
Filia herself does not really do any fighting on her own; instead Samson fights and she just walks him from place to place. They do have some team attacks, such has when she sticks her arm out so Samson can turn her hair into gator teeth. She can also attack on her own with a comb for a weapon but it is weak and has a short range. Filia seems to have above average possibly super human endurance; whether or not this comes from Samson is unclear.
With Samson in tow, Filia uses chains of swift attacks and moves around the battlefield with volatile mobility. She is capable of performing mix ups that can keep her opponents on their toes as Samson shifts into different shapes and sizes. Filia is a good rushdown character for beginners.
Filia's main appearance shows that she has mahogany-colored eyes. Her hair is hidden when Samson is wrapped on her head. Filia's main attire is based on a school uniform with a pale gray and black color. Filia wears a black necktie as it splits in half of her grey shirt. On the bottom is a black miniskirt with a higher thigh length. Filia dons a pair of black knee-lengthed stockings and a little shade of brown shoes.
- Filia's homestage is the Suburbia stage.
- Filia's name is similar to "cilia", or the singular "cilium", which are microscopic, hair-like extensions on the surfaces of some cells and organisms that can be used for movement or for sweeping away fluids and particles. This definition may call to mind Samson's tendrils.
- Filia can also mean 'daughter' in Latin.
- Filia's hair is also very similar to that of Millia Rage, a character from the Guilty Gear franchise, who also attacks with her hair.
- Filia is rather "chunky" from the rest of the female cast. This could be from her habits of eating and drinking milkshakes and Samson, being a parasite, Filia also absorbs all nutrients that Samson doesn't. Alex Ahad describes her body as "not too fat but not particularly lean/skinny or toned" her figure may be a result of Samson's absorbtion of nutrients.
- Filia has been qualified as the "protagonist" and "hero" of the series although all the girls have equal roles and Marie, Parasoul, Valentine, Double and Painwheel having more major roles than Filia herself. This might have been because she was used in most of the game's advertisements and cover artworks.
- Samson's location on Filia give her the appearance of a Futakuchi-onna, a Japanese demon with a second mouth on the back of its head.
1. Original colors
2. Original colors
3. Original colors
4. Palette taken from alternate costume design
5. Original colors
6. Original colors
7. Past Filia
8. Original colors
9. Miku Hatsune (Vocaloid)
10. Rei Miyamoto (Highschool of the Dead)
11. Original colors
12. Magneto (X-Men)
13. Original colors
14. Milia Rage (Guilty Gear)
15. Original colors
16. Zeruel (Evangelion)
17. Scanty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)
18. Madoka Kaname (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
19. Original colors - Indiegogo backer color
20.Fionna the Human (Adventure Time with Finn and Jake) - Indiegogo backer color
LP (Snip Snip)
Stabs with a small dagger from a strand of her hair. Can be chained twice.
cr. LP (Comb Under)
Pokes the opponent with a small hair comb, really short range, very fast. Can be chained twice.
j. LP (Straight Razor)
Taps quickly with the tip of her hair that takes the form of a razor.
MP (Thinning Shears)
Sticks her arm out and her hair turns into gator teeth and bites down, long range, very fast.
cr. MP (Ariel Rave)
Flips her hair up and it launches on hit, long vertical range, medium speed.
j. MP (Buzz Cut)
Makes a spinning saw out of hair that wraps around her whole torso like a hula hoop, hits multiple times, medium speed, close range.
Makes pigtails out of her hair and then uses them both to swing straight up, long range and then closes in tighter near the end, launches the opponent, jump cancelable.
cr. HP (Queue Sting)
Makes a scorpion tail and stabs out in front of her, crouches down and has a tiny hitbox, really long range, slow, bounces the opponent off the floor on air hit.
j. HP (Salon Treatment)
Makes all kinds of knives, tools and accessories out of her hair and they all hit at once, medium range, very fast.
LK (Knee High)
Kicks with her front kick, short range, very fast.
cr. LK (Ankle Sock)
Small tap with her foot, really short range, fast.
j. LK (Thigh High)
Kicks upward, small range, fast.
MK (Leg Warmer)
Turns backwards and kicks with her back kick, medium range, fairly fast.
cr. MK (French Twist)
Leans back on her arm and makes a small pose while her hair makes a puddle on the floor and drills the opposing foot for a few hits, sucks the opponent in, medium speed, long range.
j. MK (Bounce and Volume)
Kicks downward, then a strand of hair covers her foot and bites down on the opponent, two hits, medium range on the first hit, long range on the second, good speed.
HK (Samson Boot)
Uses her hair to lift her up and then launches herself forward, knocks the opponent backwards on hit.
cr. HK (Tread of Hair)
Slides across the floor with a spiked foot covered in hair, long range, slow. Knocks the opponent down on hit.
j. HK (Split Ends)
Lifts her feet up and makes to large spikes out of her hair and aims them straight down, medium range, doesn't reach in front of her, knocks the opponent down on air hit.
Ground Throw (Samson Cuddle)
Samson transforms into an octopus, squeezes the opponent fiercely, and tosses them aside.
Air Throw (Widow Peak)
Samson transforms into a widow and flings the captured opponent up and down.
Ringlet Spike (QCF + P)
Filia quickly drops to the floor and makes a drill of hair arise from the ground, the strength of the punch determines the location.
Updo (DP + P)
A “Dragon Punch” attack which jets Filia into the air while Samson takes the shape of a pair of gator jaws. The strength of the punch determines the height of the attack.
Hairball (QCB + K)
Filia curls into a ball as Samson covers her in sharp spikes and they roll forward; the strength of the kick determines the numbers of hits when on ground. Can also be done in the air, but the strength kick just determines the angle of the attack.
Gregor Samson (QCB + KK) [Level 1]
Samson takes on a cockroach like state and makes Filia rush at her opponent, the final hit sends the opponent airborne in the opposite direction, wall bouncing them back into your hit range. Can also be used in air.
Fenrir Drive (DP + PP) [Level 1]
An enhanced version of Updo which will carry the opponent high up in the air along with you before chomping down on them and crashing back into the ground.
Tricobezoar (QCB + PP) [Level 3]
Samson explodes into a large figure and upchucks a hairball from his mouth, sending the opponent flying.
- Filia's j. MP is very effective for rushdown. This move, combined with air dashes, is very effective for rushdown & keeping pressure.
- If the opponent is blocking the j. MP rushdown, then end the rushdown by doing j. HK. This will cause a cross-up on the opponent. Then use cr. MK on the ground so that you can confuse the opponent as to where they should block.
- cr. MK pulls an opponent towards you if it lands. You can use this to your advantage by calling out an assist in order to either extend a combo, or get a mix-up with a grab.
s.LP -> s.LK -> s.MK -> c.MP -> (jc) j.MP -> Hairball -> Gregor Samson
- Filia's "Hairball" special move is referenced from Sonic the Hedgehog's spin dash attack.
- Filia's old design featured her wielding two swords that somewhat resembled hairpins. A picture posted by Alex Ahad featured Eliza with an unknown warrior with its back turned to the screen. The warrior dons what appears to be Samson and is wielding Filia's hairpin swords.
- The original design for Filia was in fact meant to represent Samson himself, involving him having devoured Filia's parents before devouring Filia's own brain and innards, effectively making her nothing more than a mere meat puppet for him to hide behind and control. This plan has been openly regarded as dropped by the Skullgirls staff in favor of Filia remaining herself in symbiosis with Samson, although the concept was eventually remade into a new possible DLC character.
- Although Filia is said to like learning during her ending where she was shown sitting in her class she looked rather bored and uninterested in the lesson. Her liking to learning could be that of learning how to do certain things such as learning of a new way to do something or learning more about herself and others (as shown in her ending where she learned that the past doesn't matter to her anymore) and not particular to school learning.
- The parasite Samson may be a reference to the biblical Samson, whose impressive strength came from his hair.
- Skullgirls Art Director Alex Ahad drew a human version of Samson by fan request. This version of Samson appears to be very surly, with a prominent scowl, enlarged muscles and biker-style hair with sideburns. He also has pieces of Roman-style columns linked to his wrists by handcuffs, referencing the legend he is likely named after. This design however is regarded as non-canon unless future events indicate otherwise.
- Filia is voiced by Christine Marie Cabanos, known for voicing Azusa Nakano in K-On! and Madoka Kaname in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, while Samson is voiced by Del Stetson.
- Her name is a reference to protein filaments, which are long chains of proteins, which are found in hair.
- In one of Filia's official concept art images it was shown that she wore glasses.
- Filia's winning stance resembles that of Ryu's from the Street Fighter franchise, where he crosses his arms and the wind blows his headband (in this case, Samson is crossing his arms and Filia is fluttering in the air).
- In her flashbacks, before she became Samson's host, Filia was shown to have lighter-coloured(possibly blonde) hair.
- During the conversation with Marie in her story, Marie says that they have met before, and she has a bloodline with the Medicis. This means that she may have been part of the Medici Mafia and met Marie when she was captured by them before Filia lost her memory.
- Filia and Samson resemble a Futakuchi-onna, a two-mouthed woman of Japanese mythology.
- Filia's theme is "New Meridian," which shares the same name as the stage itself.
- Filia receives two new win animations:
- The first one is that Filia is calmly looking forward while Samson is floating in the breeze.
- The second is of Filia cheerfully standing in a victorious pose while Samson stands behind her with his arms crossed, smiling.
- Some attacks that Filia does with Samson strongly resemble the ones used by Morrigan Aensland, from the Darkstalkers/Vampire game series, with her wings.
- Many have thought Filia was complimenting her opponent's breasts when she says "they look nice" occasionaly in her pre-round introduction. But she may have actually meant it as in her opponent looked like they could be a nice person.