|Ben Birdland (Big Band)|
Big Band, also known as Ben Birdland, is a DLC character for Skullgirls. He is also a best friend of Irwin, during his time when he was a cop.
Ben Birdland has seen a lot in his time, including the worst of the Grand War. But nothing was worse than what he saw as a beat cop in New Meridian. When he ran afoul of his crooked unit, he was given a violent early retirement, and his broken body was left to spend the rest of its days in an iron lung. His best friend, Irwin does not betray him.
That would have been the end of Ben’s story if it hadn't drawn the ears of the Anti-Skullgirl Labs. With little left to lose, he agreed to be rebuilt with their experimental procedures. Melded with the machinery that allows him to breathe and a powerful array of pneumatic weaponry, he was reborn as “Big Band.”
Now a senior member of Lab 8, he’s become a father figure of sort to the younger ASG soldiers. A firm believer in their cause, he has stayed with the project through its controversies and still sees his place on the front lines against the Skullgirl. His technology may be dated, but he more than makes up for it with experience and fortissimo.
Before his transformation into Big Band, his face was handsome and usually wears a police uniform and gun.
- Default colors
- Kolchak (Kolchak: The Night Stalker)
- Red Q (Street Fighter III:Third Strike)
- Smooth Criminal (Michael Jackson)
- Big Zam (Gundam Battle Assault 2)
- Sepia filter
- Dick Tracy (Dick Tracy comics)
- Sturm (Advanced Wars)
- Nonon Jakuzure (Kill la Kill)
- Sega Mega Drive
- The Question (DC comics)
- King DeDeDe (Kirby series)
- RoboCop (RoboCop)
- Big the Cat (Sonic Adventure)
- Gato (Chrono Trigger)
- Big O (The Big O)
- Negaduck (Darkwing Duck)
- Big Band started development when the fundraising reached $375,000. The fundraising managed to raise over $400,000, so he will have his own stage and StoryMode.
- Big Band is the first male playable character in Skullgirls.
- The character's last name is a reference to "Birdland" a famous jazz club in New York City, named after saxophonist Charlie "Bird" Parker.
- In the background of Anti-Skullgirl Lab 8 Stage, Big Band can be seen watching the players fight. However, if either or both players select Big Band he will not be present in the stage background.
- Big Band is voiced by Rich Brown.
- Big Band has a grab-and-punch move where he says "Beat Extend!", which is a reference to Guilty Gear's Potemkin, who uses a similar move called "Heat Extend".
- Big Band uses a rapid-fisticuffs move where he shouts "TUBATUBATUBATUBATUBATUBA... TUUBBAAAAA!", which is a shout out to Jotaro Kujo's Stand, Star Platinum, and his famous battlecry of "ORAORAORAORAORAORA... ORAAAAA!"